General FAQ



Housing Payments

General FAQ

When do fee deadlines occur?

Please refer to the Bursar's calendar on our website for exact dates for each term.

Why have I not received a bill?

The Bursar's Office does not mail invoices to students. The student's current account statement must be viewed on the Student Payment Portal here.

When will my statement be available to view on my Student Account?

Tuition and fees in general appear on the account upon Registration.

Where do I find my Student Invoice Statement?

The student's current account statement must be viewed on the Student Payment Portal here.

I will be receiving Financial Aid and/or scholarships. What tuition and fees must I pay by the fee deadline?

If you will be receiving any Financial Aid and/or scholarships, a memo balance will appear on your account reflecting your estimated total amount of aid. You may subtract that estimated aid from your total balance and pay the difference. If your aid is not posted by the fee deadline, you must contact Financial Aid immediately to avoid cancellation.

I am supposed to receive Financial Aid and/or scholarships, but it is not noted on my account. What should I do?

Please contact your Financial Aid advisor in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) @ 404-894-4160 to inquire about your Financial Aid and scholarships. As it approaches fee deadline, it is best to go in person to discuss matters with your Financial Aid counselor.

When is the last possible day to pay fees?

Refer to the Bursar's calendar for the Final Fee Deadline in the specific term. There will also be a late penalty of $100.00 if paid after the Fee Deadline.

What will happen if my fees are not paid by the final deadline?

Students with an outstanding balance on their account after the final fee deadline are subject to class cancellation and holds. If cancelled, the student will be notified by e-mail. Appeals can be submitted by accessing the Bursar Appeal Form. If the student is reinstated into classes, a reinstatement fee of $200.00 will apply and the account balance must be paid immediately to avoid re-cancellation.

What is CashCourse?

CashCourse® provides financial education resources for students. It's online, it's free, it's noncommercial, and it's brought to you by The National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®).


What form of payments are accepted by the Bursar's Office?

At the Cashiers windows, we accept checks, money orders, demand drafts, traveler's checks, wire transfers (credit cards cannot be taken by the Cashiers). Online through your Student Payment Portal, pay with echeck (no service fee) or with a credit card, including MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and Visa. Please note, there is a third party service fee when paying by credit card.

What credit cards do you accept online?

We accept: MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and Visa.

What is the service charge for using a credit card online?

A 2.95 % service charge with be assessed by our third party vendor for the use of this service. 

Is there a service charge for using Web check?

The web check option is free of cost. No service charge applies.

What do I make my checks payable to?

Please make all checks payable to: Georgia Institute of Technology or Ga. Tech.

Do you accept the Buzz Card as a form of payment?

We do not accept Buzz Cards as a form of payment.

Do you take payments over the phone?

We do not take payments over the phone. All payments must be made via mail, through the Drop Box located at the entrance of Lyman Hall, in person at the cashier windows, or online through your Student Payment Portal using your GT Account and Password information.

What is WebCheck?

Rather than writing a traditional check from your checking account, you can process one electronically over the web through your Student Payment Portal. It's secure, convenient and free. Your payment posts immediately and you save a stamp! Have one of your checks from your checking account handy when you decide to process a WebCheck, as you will need to provide some of the numbers printed at the bottom of the check.


In what situations are refunds issued to the student?

Refunds are issued to the student for one of the following reasons:
- Overpayment of account balance
- Financial Aid and/or scholarships have been awarded exceeding the account balance.
-The student has paid for and then dropped a class within the add/drop deadline.
-The student has withdrawn completely from the University and is entitled to a prorated refund per the Refund Schedule.

In what situations are refunds issued back to the parent/guardian?

The only situation in which a refund is issued to the student's parent/guardian is if a PLUS loan disbursement exceeds the student's account balance. Parent PLUS loan refunds can be mailed directly to the parent's address listed on the loan application or directly deposited into a bank account. Parent PLUS loan refunds may only be placed in the student's direct deposit account if the Bursar's Office has received an authorization letter stating this request. All authorization letters must include the student's name, GT ID number, and parent's signature. You will only be required to submit the authorization letter once while at Georgia Tech. Once the authorization letter has been received, all Parent PLUS loan refunds will be processed to the student's direct deposit account.

I overpaid my balance. Will the credit apply towards next semester?

All overpayments are refunded back to the students. Overpayments in the current semester can be rolled over to the next semester, for one semester only, with written authorization from the student.

In what form will I receive my refund?

If the original payment of a balance or deposit was made via credit card, the charge will be reversed on the credit card originally used to pay those fees.
If the original payment was made via check, etc..., the refund will be directly deposited into the bank account set up through the Student Payment Portal. Failure to sign up for Direct Deposit will result in delays processing your refund.

How can I enter my account information to receive refunds by direct deposit?

To sign up, do the following:

  • Login to the Student Payment Portal using your GT Account and Password information.
  • Click the Refunds tab in the menu
  • Click the "Set Up Account" button
  • Fill in the bank account information (you will need one of your checks in front of you to get the required routing and account information)
  • Click the "Continue" button.

I dropped a class after the add/drop deadline. Can I expect a refund?

After the drop/add date, a student must withdraw completely to qualify for a prorated refund as outlined here.

How much of a refund can I expect if I have withdrawn from the University?

Refunds for withdrawals are pro-rated on a percentage basis according the date of a withdrawal. Please refer to the refund schedule for the term at the Refunds Page.

Housing Payments

How do I make a housing prepayment?

  • Access the Student Payment Portal
  • Click on the Deposits tab at the top of the page
  • Use the drop down arrow to select the deposit and click Select
  • Click on Continue
  • Select a Payment Method and click Select

Is there a service charge to use my credit card in making a housing prepayment?

There is a service charge associated with making a housing prepayment.

I would like to make my housing prepayment via Web check as opposed to credit card. How should I go about doing this?

We accept Webcheck for Housing Deposits.

I wish to cancel my housing application. Who should I contact?

If you wish to cancel your housing application, please contact one of the following:
Central Housing: 404-894-2470
Graduate and Family Housing: 404-894-2687